- I grew up in southern Iowa and regularly attended church, but did not become a follower of Christ until my freshman year of college.
- I met my wife Tonya at the University of Northern Iowa. We were married in 2003 and have four kids: Noah, Eli, Dawson, and Kharis.
- I have a B.A. in Economics from the University of Northern Iowa, and a M.Div. from the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. Prior to arriving at Fremont E-Free I served for five years as a student pastor in Amarillo, Texas and for nearly three years as the senior pastor at a church in Tarrytown, New York.
- I have been greatly influenced over the years by the ministries of John Piper, Russell Moore, and D.A. Carson. I am also indebted to the work of Charles Spurgeon, Martyn Llloyd-Jones, and John Calvin. In my free-time I enjoy spending time with the family and participating in pretty much any sport. As a lifelong Cyclone fan, I also enjoy watching Iowa State basketball (watching Iowa State football is usually less enjoyable!)
- One of my favorite passages of Scripture is found in Psalm 115:1-“Not to us, O Lord, not to us, but to your name give glory, for the sake of your steadfast love and your faithfulness.”
- By the grace of God, my parents came to know the Lord when I was 5 years old. I came to know Christ at the age of 9.
- I went to Southwest Baptist University and earned a degree in Religious Education. Then I went to Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary and earned a Masters in Christian Education.
- I married my wonderful wife, Mandie in the fall of 1996. We have four amazing boys – Joel, Micah, Caleb and Jonah.
- I came on staff at Fremont E Free in April of 2012. For the past 13 years I was the minister of Students at our previous church in Olathe, KS.
- I love the book of Psalms, John and Colossians. I enjoy reading my favorite
authors – John Piper, Tim Keller, Jerry Bridges, Francis Chan, Paul Miller, and Kevin DeYoung, John Calvin, and Charles Spurgeon. I also like listening to music, journaling, biking and watching Nebraska football.
- One of my favorite passages from God’s Word is Psalm 16:11: You make known to me the path of life; in Your presence there is fullness of joy; at Your right hand there are pleasures forevermore.
- I was raised in a Christian home. I accepted the Lord in my early teens at a missionary revival meeting at our country church.
- My wife, Melinda, and I have been married for 33 years and we have 4 children, all 4 are married. Melinda was the girl next door out in the country and we married after college graduation.
- My daily work is farming with my brother and nephew and my oldest son, Matt.
- Through our second son’s (Mark) kidney transplant, which I donated one of my kidneys in 1981, the Lord has taught me to trust, serve and give praise to Him who makes all things possible. The power of prayer and the strength of a personal relationship with Jesus Christ cannot be overstated. It is a part of each day when we focus on Him.
- I enjoy attending events of my children and their spouses and especially events of our 3 grandchildren Cade, Ava, and Julia.
- I enjoy leading a small group where we study God’s Word and develop deeper relationships with the Lord and each other.
- My favorite verses from the Bible are Proverbs 3:5, 6 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths.”
I am a native of the Washington D.C. area and was raised Catholic.
The Lord Jesus caused me to be born again May 22nd, 1987 through
the testimony of man I picked up hitchhiking.
I met my wife Cathy whose is from Valley, Nebraska in the D.C. area in
1991; we were married in 1992 and moved to Nebraska in 1994.
We have 3 children; J.T., Petra, and Olivia – all Huskers.
I love the beauty of the Scriptures and appreciate many teachers. I
have benefitted greatly from the ministries of John Piper, Timothy Keller
and D.A. Carson along with the writings of Charles Spurgeon, John
Calvin and Jonathan Edwards.
I love music, baseball, art, computers and the Bible but not necessarily
in that order.
My favorite passage of Scripture is Psalm 32:1-2 “Blessed is the one
whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. Blessed is the
man against whom the LORD counts no iniquity, and in whose spirit
there is no deceit.” For in this passage is the greatness and